Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Why Twitter??

OK--I used to ponder that question myself. Why Twitter? What can I possibly gain personally from such inane mini-messages?

My first adventure into Twittering was not successful. I found "friends" that were tweeting and simply followed them....and they were really going nowhere! I consider myself a busy enough person that I don't want to know what anyone is doing for every moment of the day.

Luckily, I have a wonderful technology role model in my life (thanks Jerri!), and she set a great example for me: don't aimlessly Twitter but look specifically for a group of people to feed your interests and meet your professional development needs. Now I have multiple resources at my disposal each and every day ---OK--each and every moment.

Sometimes I still feel overwhelmed by all the Tweets that I don't have time to read. My OCD just kicks in and I "unfollow" people who are flooding my Twitter. I would also like to note that I do not really like to tweet and do not have anyone following me either. For now, however, I have found that Twitter has been a great tool for learning, and, eventually, I may even join in the "exchange".

If you are interested, even a little, in starting up a Twitter account, there is a great article to get you going.
"How to Use Twitter to Grow Your PLN" has basic instructions on starting an account at the end of the article, and it also includes a list of "educationally focused chats" to make your first experience a positive one!

No comments:

Post a Comment